With more days spent working at home than ever before, I think all of our hair routines have switched up. Gone are the days of blow drying and straightening/curling my hair every day and I know many of my friends have done the same. This new embrace of my natural hair has led me to need more hair clips, scrunchies, and all those do-dads, but as always, you know I’m not running out to the store to get them!
Instead, I hopped over to my sewing machine and taught myself how to make a hair scrunchie with a knot bow. Why did I need that extra step of adding the knot bow? Because it’s so darn cute! Check out below how to make a scrunchie of your own, plus grab the printable pattern for free.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you chose to purchase using my link. You will not be charged extra plus you will help keep karma&kismet going! Basically, you’re the best! For all Amazon links, please know – As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchase. Read the full Disclosure Policy.
How to Make a Hair Scrunchie with Knot Bow
What You’ll Need:
- Printable Pattern
- (1) 3″x16″ cut of fabric
- (2) bow cut of fabric (use pattern)
- (1) 6.5″ cut of 1/4 inch elastic
- Sewing Machine
- Rotary Cutter
- Cutting Mat/Board
- Pins/sewing clips
Steps to make a Scrunchie with Knot Bow
- Print out the pattern
- Cut out your fabric – (1) 3″x16″ piece for the scrunchie and (2) pieces for the bow, using the pattern
- Cut 6.5″ of 1/4 inch elastic
- Iron the fabric
- Fold the 3″x16″ piece of fabric in half inside out and pin to prepare for sewing
- Sewing piece with a 1/4 inch seam allowance
- Turn right side out
- Feed the 1/4 elastic through the tube you sewed (TIP: pin a safety pin to the end of the elastic to feed through)
- Sew the ends of the elastic together, creating a circle
- Fold the ends of the fabric into each other and sew closed
- Pin the two pieces for the bow together, inside out to prepare for sewing
- Sew the bow pieces together, leaving an opening of about 1/2 inch to turn right side out
- Turn right side out
- Sew the opening that was left closed
- Tie your bow onto your scrunchie
This super easy sewing project is great for beginners who are starting to learn how to use their sewing machine. If you’re interested in more beginner sewing projects, be sure to check out my YouTube and subscribe.